Northbridge’s Aboriginal heritage
A powerful Aboriginal clan named the Camaraigals was seen by Governor Phillip and his party when they visited Middle Harbour in mid-1788. The clan roamed the bushland and fished in Middle Harbour up to the 1820s. By the 1850s there were no Aboriginals living their traditional lifestyle in the area. Rock engravings and other signs of past habitation have been found on the Northbridge peninsula but they are protected and not available to the public. Shell middens can still be found along the foreshore in Clive Park.
European settlement of Northbridge
The first Crown grant of land in the Northbridge peninsula was made in 1837 at what is now Clive Park. The second grant was at Fig Tree Point. All the remaining land on the peninsula was auctioned by the Crown in 1855 and 1856.
The peninsula was divided into 38 subdivisions ranging in area from six to 20 acres. Some isolated houses were built in the 1860s and 1870s. By the 1880s, most of the original grantees of the land had sold to new owners, who in turn sold to land development companies which were preparing to build the Suspension Bridge over Long Bay.
In the early 1900s several subdivisions were auctioned on the western side of the peninsula, notably in Harden Ave and Eric St (now Eastern Valley Way). It was not until 1913 that a subdivision used the name ‘Northbridge’ for the first time, referring to the north side of the Suspension Bridge.