We would like to begin by acknowledging the Traditional Custodians of the land the Gammeraygal/Cammeraygal people, on which we meet today, and pay our respects to their Elders past and present.
We extend that respect to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people here today.
Northbridge is a suburb on the Lower North Shore of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. It is located 6 kilometres north of the Sydney Central Business District, in the local government area of Willoughby City Council (WCC).
Northbridge took its name from its location, north of a sandstone suspension bridge built in 1892 and celebrated the centenary of the naming of ‘Northbridge’ in 2013.
According to the Office of Environment & Heritage, the offical name of the bridge is ‘Suspension Bridge’ however other names include: Northbridge Suspension Bridge, Cammeray Bridge, Long Gully Bridge.
The Suspension Bridge
The Suspension Bridge in Northbridge is of State significance. It was built as a steel suspension bridge with sandstone turreted towers by a private syndicate to promote residential development and was opened to traffic in in 1892. It was transferred to the Department of Main Roads in 1935 and rebuilt as a reinforced concrete two rib arch bridge, with original towers intact, in 1939.
The bridge is intimately associated with the residential development of the area to the north of the bridge, essential infrastructure which allowed the area’s development to proceed in the late nineteenth century. The process of the design and construction of the arch is illustrative of an era in the history of bridge building in the Department of Main Roads (DMR) and of contemporary concern with aesthetic and historical landmarks and their preservation. The bridge is a distinctive structure, both graceful and impressive, and situated in a highly attractive setting. The design of the arch demonstrates creativity in its response to a highly individual technical problem and in its aesthetic sympathy with the original towers of the suspension bridge. The concrete arch makes an important historical, technical and aesthetic contribution to the suspension bridge, which is already highly valued by the community, and is of considerable interest in its own right.
The Suspension Bridge is the entrance to our suburb and Willoughby City Council area which is why it is the logo of – Northbridge Progress Association (NPA).
The newsletter of the NPA is named The 202 (after the local bus route) and is published quarterly and delivered free to all residents by a voluntary team.