Northbridge Progress Association Inc.
- As per attendance book (17 signed in members and 3 visitors)
- including Councillor Rachel Hill
- Guests of Honour
- Ms Dominique Ambrogio – St Philip Neri Catholic Primary School
- Mr Daniel Younan – Daniel Younan & Associates
- Mr Victor Lahoud – Castlenorth Pty Ltd
- The Chairman noted that a quorum was present.
- Malcolm & Penny Lye, Peter McNair, Cr John Hooper, Cr Hugh Eriksson, Cr Gail Giles-Gidney, Angelos Frangopoulos, Sandra Bridgewater Dunn, Ranald & Marillyn Stewart, Marion Feibush, Katie Geeves, Grant Sheldon, David Michel
Suspension of Standing Orders for Guest Speakers
- Rob Coote, Chair, welcomed the two sets of guest speakers along with Ward Cr Rachel Hill.
- Guest Speaker:
- St Philip Neri Catholic Primary School: Ms Dominique Ambrogio
- Ms Ambrogio thanked the meeting for the invitation and advised that she had only recently taken over the P&F this year
- 215 students enrolled (representing 120 families), co-educational, Kinder to year 6, school established in 1923, formerly called St Kierans
- School very active in fundraising, which is all done internally – in furtherance of the school motto is “loving in deeds, not just words”. Actively participate in winter drive appeals as part of the Catholic North Shore parish. Raised $7000 in past 12 months to support a population of 22,000 people in East Timor. Old classroom computers are sent over
- Participate in a very successful intergenerational program at Pathways (school band plays bringing much joy to residents)
- Sadly the school fun run was discontinued as insurance became too expensive and logistics too difficult
- The kiss and ride zone is too short
- Enrolment at capacity
- Majority of students are from Northbridge families and remainder from Naremburn and Castlecrag
- Are currently still using Northbridge Oval but for a long time have been confined to a far top corner away from the golf course.
- Informal update Northbridge Public School:
- Ms Belinda Cachia – NPS Parent
- In the absence of a representative from NPS, the Secretary, Ms Belinda Cachia, was asked to provide a brief report.
- Re golf balls on Northbridge Oval, by recent Department of Education initiative, all parents have been invited to sign a permission slip allowing children back on the oval as the only balls recorded coming on to the oval have been confined to the exclusion zone. Next meeting 24 June.
- School is facing overcrowding issues common to other schools in the area. More children staying on in senior years (5 and 6) has meant that less “out-of-area” applications for kinder entry have been accepted
- School participates in regular dress up days for charitable fundraising
- A new issue which has just been raised is the lack of lighting at the school crossing on Sailors Bay Road, which is especially dangerous at dusk
- There is a push to have Northbridge re-zoned into the new Cammeraygal High School catchment. Representations made to Education Minister.
- Approximately 500 children enrolled.
- Guest speaker:
- Victor Lahoud: Castlenorth Pty Ltd and Daniel Younan: Daniel Younan & Associates
(Re 147-151 Sailors Bay Road – “Orana”)
- Noted is a new building so all current regulations will apply
- The development application has been in Council for 7 -8 months. Will be going to a committee meeting for approval. Understood the recommendation is for a deferred commencement, i.e., approval contingent upon some changes
- 4 storeys above ground proposed (i.e., 4 storeys of residential plus ground). 5th story is set back
- 23 units down from 24
- Is lower in overall height than Castle Gardens
- Some discussion ensued regarding the legal status of the Master Plan
General Meeting opened at 8.14 pm
- Approval of Minutes
- The Minutes of the previous General Meeting held on March 5th, 2015 were approved.
- Ward Cr Report – Cr Rachel Hill
- AW Edwards Building – 131 Sailors Bay Road
- Cr Rachel Hill addressed the meeting and provided some background and an update as to the current status. Councillors were initially inclined to reject the 5 storey development application as it was felt the proposal exceeded height restrictions. After some negotiations, a scaled back version was approved at a full Council site visit. The additional storey extends to the height of the existing lift well.
- Rob Coote noted community concern that the Northbridge Master Plan had been ignored when the intention was that “instrument” reflect community preference and only allow 4 storeys. New buildings will have to comply.
Other community issues and general business
- Community Update
- Fit for the future – Parliament reviewing – a report is due back in Parliament by the end of 2015;
- Northbridge Plaza & Car Park – a report is due back in council after the end of June 2015;
- Northbridge Clock update – NPA received a grant to improve lighting and the clock. Landscaping is also to be upgraded
- Northbridge Bowling Club – Cr Hill reported she had received a few enquiries and Council was looking at options. The Hall will continue to be a community facility. Club will not be a licensed venue anymore. One proposal is for a community play school, but there will be community consultation before any decisions.
- Events Update
- Bush Poetry & Music – June 14th 2-4pm
- Vivid – both City & Chatswood – on until June 8th
- WCC’s Guided Bushwalks June/July & August calendar out now.
- Open community forum for discussion
- Northbridge Hub – a work in progress
- North Sydney RSL – plan to reopen Northbridge sub-branch and renovate the memorial at Bonds Corner
- Mr Victor Lahoud noted there was 200 square metres of vacant space available for community use on the ground floor of Castle Gardens.
- Next meeting
- The next General Meeting will be held on Thursday 3rd September 2015 at 7.45 pm in the Northbridge Golf Club.
Meeting Closed at 8.45 PM
Chairman: ………………………………………. Date: ………………………..